Thursday 10 February 2011

Social media lets us share when we can't be there

My best friend from primary school is getting married in 6 weeks and I am so happy for her. After we went to different secondary schools and she moved further into the city we stopped seeing so much of each other, and then we didn’t see each other at all. It’s a sad fact of life that these things happen. But! We found each other again on Facebook and now I get to read her excited posts about planning for the wedding, practicing her new signature and breaking in her wedding shoes in the office.

I’ve even linked with her sister and Mom so know that the whole family is really excited, which makes me excited too. I won’t be at the wedding but I get to enjoy hearing about my friend living out our childhood fantasies. Her father is a Vicar so church services were often in our imaginary play box of tricks. But like most little girls we loved to play weddings in the vicarage garden. My friend’s sister would often play the vicar and, with my sister there, we would take turns to be bride, bridesmaid and groom (if no suitable Ken doll was available!), often with some net curtain as a veil.

I can’t wait to see pictures of the wedding and that is the beauty of social media. It brings people together and allows them to share in moments, like weddings, which they might not otherwise be able to attend. It’s not practical to invite everyone to your wedding, 60th birthday party, christening or child’s birth and not everyone invited will be able to attend either. But social media allows us to involve more people and be more integrated.

So for my best friend from Emmer Green Primary I share a few memories:

Sleepovers at her house having movie marathons, camped out on the floor of the living room.

The PURPLE girls society.

Fancy dress parties for my birthday including Alice in Wonderland and the Ugly Bug Ball.

The Waltons.

No comments:

Post a Comment