Friday 9 September 2011

Who put 2011 on fast forward?

So I’ve been pretty bad at updating my blog recently and it’s not because I don’t have the desire to – I’ve just not had the spare time to do it justice. Having started a new job at Silver Lining 7 months ago I’ve totally changed my work schedule, taken on the running of a second Brownie Unit in my local area and even managed to go on my first proper holiday in 3 years! But before I realised it September had arrived and I know I’m not the only one to feel this way this year.

2011 seems to have whizzed past and just look at all the things that sparked conversation on Twitter and around the world so far:

Widespread protests in Egypt and Libya.

Major earthquake in Japan resulting in deadly tsunami and damage to nuclear power plant.

Major earthquake in Christchurch, New Zealand resulting in collapse of cathedral tower, businesses and homes.

Attempted assassination of Congresswoman Giffords.

The deaths of Pete Postlehwaite, Elizabeth Taylor, Randy Savage, Lucian Freud, Amy Winehouse, Bubba Smith.

Royal wedding of Prince William to Catherine (Kate) Middleton.

The world’s first artificial organ transplant.

Traveller Paddy Doherty wins Celebrity Big Brother.

NASA’s space shuttle program concludes as Atlantis completes its final mission.

US President Obama releases his birth certificate confirming his birth in the USA.

Terrorist attacks in Norway resulting in the deaths of 76 people.

The 10 year anniversary of the 9/11 terrorist attacks.

Disappointment, shock and elation following 2012 Olympics ticket allocation in the UK.

Possible photographic evidence of liquid water captured by the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter.

Riots spread across major cities in the UK over 5 days resulting in looting, violence and arson attacks.

The start of the Rugby World Cup 2011 in New Zealand.

And we still have 4 months to go till the end of the year! A quick stawpoll of my Twitter followers confirms that many of you out there are less than impressed with this year being on fast forward and that perhaps it’s time to put on the brakes!

No comments:

Post a Comment